Boomzap Studios has exclusively soft-launched the battle strategy game "Monster Roller", here in the Philippines. Earlier this year, the game received the Game of the Year award at the ESGS Indie Arena 2015 and Best Art at the Game Developers Association of the Philippines (GDAP) Game Awards 2015.
Monster Roller is two things. First, it's a pokemon - errrr,
sorry, creature-raising game, where you hatch eggs and raise new monsters. If
you're a completionist gamer, then take note of these numbers: Â there are 42 unique monsters and 12 unique
eggs you can collect. You may level them up, evolve them into stronger monsters,
and make them fight other monsters, PVP style.
That's where the second part comes in. Monster Roller is also, a gambling game. Yep, you read the title right. Monster Roller involves a bit of gambling... but not with actual money, of course. Its battle system utilizes a slot machine mechanic to determine how powerful your monster's move will be. It's similar to how turn-based RPGs use a dice.
Each of your monsters has unique abilities: some can buff, others can heal, while the rest can brawl/slash/bite. That's where your strategy skills come in handy. As is with all games that employ a turn-based combat style, the success of a battle depends on how well you deploy your team. In this case, it also depends on how lucky you are at the slots.
Other features to note:
- Small game size.Â The entire game, with over 40 monsters (including evolves) is all under 50 MB.
- Play offline or online.Â Play offline solo adventures against the computer or online in PVP.
- Collect and use over 40 unique monsters and 12 unique eggs.Â Each monster has its unique strengths and weaknesses.
- Determine how your monster grows.Â When monsters level up, you have a say in how they grow - do they gain in attack, heal factor, or HP?
- Play for free.Â Every egg type in the store can be earned just by playing the game. We do not use gems or energy.
A quick background on Boomzap: they're an independent game studio with developers from all over Southeast Asia, predominantly the Philippines. They've released a lot of other games for PC, Mac, Wii, iOS and Android over years. "Super Awesome Quest" and "Legends of Callasia", to name a few.
So, interested in Monster Roller? You can download it for free on the iTunes App
Store and Google Play Store. Let us know what you think... while I wait for these
eggs to hatch.